Primary Lateral Sclerosis affects the brain by causing motor neuron degeneration, this can lead to atrophy to different areas of the brain, such as the Partial-Occipital region, which is shown compared to a healthy brain below.

The objective of my project is “describe how a muscle contraction is induced”

One Comment

1. Colten did his STEAM project on Primary Lateral Sclerosis (PLS) which is a disease that affects motor neurons. His objective was to describe how a muscle contraction is induced. he chose a great topic to relate to muscle contractions due to PLS causing weakness in voluntary muscles. Colten goes on to describe in detail how muscle contractions are induced before explaining what PLS is and the severity of it, even to go as detailed as to relate it to other motor neuron diseases such as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Progressive Spinal Muscular Atrophy.

After describing the action potential process, Colten makes no mistake to inform the reader the importance and severity of PLS by saying that motor neurons are the most vital part of the action potential process because without motor neurons muscles would be unable to fire.

PLS causes atrophy to parts of the brain. Colten used a scan of Axial T2-weighted MRI to draw the first image of a healthy brain. Referenced was a study from Pioro that showed atrophy in of the superior parietal region. His other drawing was of an MRI scan that showed parietal-occipital atrophy.

He chose to draw to show the effects the disease has on the brain, and it showed signs of parietal-occipital atrophy. he was able to identify the differences in the scans without having any prior knowledge of this subject.

In my opinion this was a very informative and creative project and I was able to learn a lot about PLS and other motor neuron diseases.

Angel Salcido

Comments are closed.