I chose Carpal Tunnel as my STEAM project. Carpal Tunnel (CTS) is when the median nerve gets compressed or pinched. The median nerve runs through the carpal tunnel, which is at the bottom of the carpal bones in our wrists. On the top of the wrist, there is a ligament that goes across called the transverse carpal ligament. What creates CTS is when the transverse carpal ligament, becomes stressed putting pressure and pinching the median nerve. When the median nerve is being compressed, your hand can have a tingling feeling, numbness, and pain that can travel up to your elbow. Sometimes, when the compressed nerve isn’t taken care of right away, it could create nerve damage, with the possibility of permanent nerve damage. If CTS isn’t taken care of, the muscles in our wrists will start to weaken, creating a loss of grip strength and possible muscle cramping. To fix CTS, the doctors will cut the transverse carpal ligament, releasing the tension. After the surgery, the hand is wrapped. The stitches are removed around 2 weeks. Depending on which hand the surgery took place on, the recovery time can vary from 2 weeks to 2 months.

One Comment

1. Hey, that is a great model that looks like a cake that you could eat? You can see the nerves and blood vessels very well, as well as the carpal tunnel, which can cause muscles to regress and the hand to become less functional.

The description and symptoms of the carpal tunnel reminded me of when my hand falls asleep (when your arm goes numb). Although this is uncomfortable, it usually passes quickly. The carpal tunnel is formed by the carpal bones and a stabilizing ligament of connective tissue. Several hand tendons and the middle arm nerve (median nerve) run in the middle. This runs from the shoulder over the upper and lower arm. In addition to two other nerves, it controls muscle movements and enables the hand to touch. Thus, this nerve controls the sensitivity and mobility of several parts of the hand. If the tissue in the carpal tunnel swells, the median nerve can come under pressure and cause symptoms such as numbness, abnormal sensations, pain, later paralysis, and dysfunction. Sometimes the whole hand hurts, or the pain radiates into the arm.

Sophie Schilling

Comments are closed.