I used polymer clay to create two different brains-a healthy one and one with Alzheimers’ disease. Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive neurologic disorder, which results in cerebral atrophy and brain cell death.  A brain with Alzheimer’s disease can be easily identified by its external appearance.

One Comment

1. Taborlee Montefu chose to cover Alzheimer’s disease. The objective she chose was to identify the various components and key structures of the nervous system. She made a model of a healthy brain and a brain with Alzheimer’s disease. The abnormal brain looks dehydrated, with a clear cerebral cortex. . She wrote that it is because of the loss of neurons. Causing the brain to shrink. She then describes that the cortex and hippocampus have a noticeable shrinkage which later leads to dementia. There is no known cure for Alzheimer’s. She wrote that the neuron transportation passage is blocked and because of that, the communication between neurons is damaged.
    Montefu did a great job explaining the disease and chose a creative approach which helped me better understand the disease. I learned that elders die with amyloid loss without any symptoms. I enjoyed reading her piece.
    Something I would’ve liked to see is the inside of the brain with noticeable shrinkage. I think that would’ve added more detail and would have given her the chance to label her model. Other than that I think she did an amazing job. One question I would like to ask her is- how big is her model? Cause that is a lot of detail. Thanks to Montefu I learned a lot about the change in the brain caused by Alzheimer’s disease.

Alice Faith Samuelson

Comments are closed.