In my project, I tried to recreate what severe arthritis in the hands may look like. I used scar putty and red body paint to make the knuckles inflamed and larger to appear swollen. I also used a toothpick to create the wrinkle groves that are present when our fingers are straightened. My main focus was to bring to light just how serious of a disease arthritis is. I wanted to state what treatment options are available to people who suffer from arthritis. Lastly, I wanted to show the symptoms and how the disease is obtained. In the photos, you can see that my fingers are curled and wont straighten, this is because with arthritis, your joints do not move like they used to and this causes mobility problems. I also wish to clarify that while there are different types of arthritis like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis is an umbrella term used to encompass all the different types of arthritis. Note: I wish to say that the scar putty became crumbly when exposed to extreme heat and that is why it is not sticking completely in the photos.

One Comment

1. The objective of this project is to portray – by way of a type of special effects make-up called scar putty applied to the hands – the appearance and experience of having arthritis of the hand. Through thoughtful application and detailing of the scar putty, and insightful positioning of the hand and fingers; Cassidy successfully conveys a possible case of severe arthritis. Arthritis is characterized by swollen and inflamed joints. Arthritis is more than swollen joints, to include: changes in muscles, mobility, and quality of life. Arthritis most often occurs in bones of the hands, feet, and the kneecap (patella). There are some treatment options: from temporary to semi-permanent, less-invasive to surgery. Cassidy shares the personal experience of a family member suffering from arthritis.

Deven Barnett

Comments are closed.