My STEAM project was about the Wim Hof Breathing Technique. His breathing technique is said to have many health benefits when practiced with time and commitment. The piece of art I made is an interactive piece. Much like a children’s book. The pull tab at the bottom represents breathing and the little flip tabs up top are for inhaling and exhaling. I took a video of this, but was having trouble uploading it, so email me if you would like to see it in action.

One Comment

1. Jaden Frost
    Professor Larson
    BIOL 112
    19 April, 2021
    Partner Abstract
    Elise’ STEAM Project is based on a breathing technique known as the “Wim Hof method.” This method of breathing has many positive outcomes if done correctly, for example: you can control your breathing, heart rate and even circulation in your body.
    Wim Hof, otherwise known as “The Iceman,” has completed what seems to be impossible tasks. He has the ability to tolerate some of the coldest, harshest environments through a breathing technique that he has created. There are 3 main ideas in his breathing method: breathing, cold therapy and meditation/commitment. Although there is a method to the madness, scientists were wondering what really happens within their body to tolerate such cold temperatures.
    Radboud University did a study on this “Wim Hof method” and discovered that people who practice this breathing method can actually control their sympathetic nervous system. The way that they can control their sympathetic nervous system was through the extreme cold temperatures that they were in, meditation and their breathing techniques. This in turn releases epinephrine in their body, which reduces “endotoxemia-associated flu-like symptoms.” The Wim Hof method can also influence the vivo innate immune response, as Kox et al. states: “vivo innate immune response can be voluntarily influenced…through voluntary activation of the sympathetic nervous system.” This breathing technique was also studied by Wayne State University in 2018. Studies showed that the technique activated the part of the brain that controls the pain response in the body. Another finding was that this breathing technique caused warmth within the lungs, which warms the blood in the pulmonary capillaries. This created a sense of “a feeling of euphoria and well-being” (Muzik et al.).
    If you want to experience this, Elise Wood explained that you can go on their website and follow their instructions. Many studies are shown that this breathing method “can reduce stress, increase body temperature and so much more.” Elise Woods’ STEAM Project portrayed the part of the body that this technique focuses on. Her interactive piece explained the breathing techniques that were explained earlier in the writing.

Jaden Frost

Comments are closed.