For this project, I tried my best to create an accurate map of human veins and arteries of the torso. Through my research, I was able to understand how veins and arteries are able to constantly move and profuse blood throughout the body. I drew the artery and vein map on a shirt to put in perspective how vast this system is.

One Comment

1. Sarkis Yousoofian’s project is titled Veins and Arteries. Sarkis talks about how the veins and arteries can withstand so much pressure to deliver oxygenated blood and deoxygenated blood. He states that all the blood vessels have a purpose and matter.
    The arteries deliver profuse oxygenated blood throughout the body. Organs, muscles, and all areas of the body receive oxygenated blood. Sarkis states that the artery has three main components. The inner layer, called Tuniac Media, consists of simple squamous epithelium. It gets surrounded with connective tissues and elastic fibers. The middle layer which is the most important, called Tuniac Media, consists of smooth muscle. It helps with expanding and constricting the artery aiding in the regulation of blood flow. The last layer is called tunica adventitia, consisting od connective tissues, collagen fibers, and elastic fibers. It hold the arteries to surrounding tissues.
    Vasodilation and vasoconstriction of arteries occurs when the brain sends signals to the smooth muscle of arteries. Body temperature, adrenaline, alcohol consumption, low O2 levels, and illness are examples of when vasodilation/vasoconstriction can occur. Once stimulated the body will send signals and hormones/chemicals to increase or decrease blood levels.
    Veins return deoxygenated blood to the heart, which is 70% of blood is inside the veins. Veins and arteries are made up of the same layers, but veins have valves that act as pump stations that send blood to the heart. The pulmonary vein is the only vein that carries oxygenated blood from the lungs back to the heart.
    Sarkis Yousoonfian drew the heart, veins, and arteries on a plain white T-shirt. It looks pretty cool. All the arteries are connected and intertwined. You can tell where they connect to both of the lungs. And the direction of the blood flow is drawn on as well. Over all great STEAM project, I wonder if he is keeping the shirt he made?

Allison Wasuli

Comments are closed.