My project is on left ventricular hypertrophy. It is a condition characterized by the enlargement of the wall of the left ventricle. This condition is most commonly caused by hypertension but can have several other causes as well. The hand in the picture is meant to represent the excess pressure and stress on the heart.

One Comment

1. I was paired with Tatyana Kincade for the STEAM project. Tatyana’s STEAM project was created on left ventricular hypertrophy. Left ventricular hypertrophy is a heart condition characterized by the wall of the left ventricle. In her project, Tatyana explained the structure and function of the heart and the flow of blood through the heart. Also, she created a beautiful drawing that represents excess pressure and stress on the heart which is caused by left ventricular hypertrophy.
    Tatyana explained that the human heart has four chambers. She said that the two atria receive blood while the ventricles pump blood. Further on she did a great job of explaining how the blood travels through the heart. She explained that the blood gets oxygenated and that the left ventricle which is the heart’s larger pump, pumps blood through the aorta to the rest of the body. Later on, she explained that increased pressure or stress on the heart can lead to serious structural issues. Tatyana explained that one of the potential issues is left ventricular hypertrophy.
    Left ventricular heart hypertrophy is a heart condition that thickens the wall of the left ventricle. This condition is mostly caused by hypertension. Tatyana explained that as the walls of the ventricle get bigger, the size of the cavity decreases and that reduces the amount of blood the heart can pump. This condition can lead to heart failure if not diagnosed at an early stage and treated properly. The visual aid Tatyana created shows a hand that is holding the heart representing decreased efficiency of the heart. This image is a great comparison because the heart would have to pump against the force of the hand holding it. Tatyana did a great job on her STEAM project and her visual aid gave me a clear understanding of how left ventricular hypertrophy would affect the heart.

Markuss Komuls

Comments are closed.