This STEAM project is a visual depiction of abnormal circulation caused by Atrial Septal Defect. I hand drew the hearts, then used glow in the dark paint as a medium with a black light to emphasize the different structures of the heart.

One Comment

1. After reading and reviewing Savannah Henry essay and steam project regarding Atrial Septal Defect. The title of the essay is interesting. The first part of the essay was very clear and relevant to the topic. In the steam project, you did a really awesome job. It is very detailed, and I was able to clearly see the difference between the normal heart and the heart with Atrial Septal Defect (ASD). This intrigued me, so I did a bit of research. A large Atrial Septal Defect can cause extra blood to overfill the lungs and overwork the right side of the heart. If not treated, the right side of the heart eventually enlarges and weakens. The blood pressure in your lungs can also increase, leading to pulmonary hypertension. It is not known why atrial septal defects occur, but some congenital heart defects appear to run in families and sometimes occur with other genetic problems, such down syndrome. If you have a heart defect, or you have child with a heart defect, a genetic counselor can estimate the odds that future children will have one. Thank you for sharing this with the class Savannah, well done.

Faith Shay

Comments are closed.