I did my stem project on PCOS. Abby Herbert is an influencer on tik Tok who has PCOS and is recently pregnant. Her story is great and it has taught me a lot about PCOS instead of reading from a book or the internet.

2 Comments

1. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), is a condition arising from a hormonal disorder that is characterized by numerous small, fluid-filled cyst present on the ovaries. Afflicting women of reproductive age, PCOS can strike anywhere from the onset of menstruation, up to the latter stages of the reproductive years. Although the exact mechanism for PCOS is not known, there is an apparent association with the male hormone Androgen, which is naturally present in women in small amounts. Abnormally high levels of Androgen may create hormonal imbalances which prevent the ovaries from producing and releasing eggs at the onset of ovulation. Symptoms of PCOS can result in missed (or irregular periods), acne, and excessive body and facial hair. Of a more serious nature, PCOS can lead to infertility, diabetes and heart disease. Women who suffer from PCOS and obesity would be advised to lose weight to reduce the risk of developing type- 2 diabetes and heart disease. If warranted, pharmacological treatment may include the medication Metformin to prevent diabetes, and statins to control cholesterol. For unwanted hair growth, electrolysis is a safe and effective way to permanently remove hair at the follicle. Hormone therapy, with birth control pills may be prescribed to regulate menstrual cycles.
    Women who overcome the odds of infertility and manage to conceive with PCOS, run the risk of miscarriage. They should work closely with their physician to monitor their pregnancy and prevent the development of additional complications such as of gestational diabetes, preeclampsia and birth by C-section, if possible.

Victoria Tucker

Comments are closed.