. .

The skin consists of three main layers, the epidermis, the dermis, and the hypodermis. Starting with they hypodermis, I used spray foam to represent the adipose tissue in the hypodermis layer because its insulating. The dermis layer contains nerve endings and blood supply. It is also where your hair follicles start. I used Christmas lights to represent the nerve endings because the insulated wires remind me of the axons and the batting insulations because of the would fibers. The epidermis consists of many smaller layers. the stratum basales are represented by the cardboard this is where mitosis happens to create new skin, the stratum spinosum, stratum granulosum are the white and yellow rags rolled to look like the flat layers under the skin the layers slowly become flatter as they reach the surface, stratum lucidum is even thinner then the layers that came before and can only be found in the thick areas of skin found on say the bottom of your feet and stratum coronium is the outermost layer that flakes off to reveal the new skin as it grown it protects the underlying layers.

One Comment

1. The objective of this project is to identify the structures of the three main different types of tissues of the skin (the epidermis, the dermis, and the hypodermis). This is demonstrated using building materials and commonly found household items. I really like how you showed the hypodermis with spray foam, the epidermis with cardboard, and the stratum spinosum/stratum granulosum with yellow and white rags. My favorite part are the Christmas lights that show the nerve endings. These are all very well shown and great to look at. Something that I found very interesting is that the stratum lucidum is a very thin layer of skin that is only found in the thicker areas of the skin. One of these areas is the bottom of the foot. The bottom of the foot develops a lot of calluses so that is why the skin is thicker in that area. One thing that my dad told me is that the very top layer of the skin is dead and that its purpose is to protect the new skin that is beneath it. Overall, the project looks really good, very clear, and I really enjoyed looking at it.

Kjrsten Schindler

Comments are closed.