Prosopagnosia, or “face blindness”, is a condition which prohibits the individual from recognizing faces due to an issue in the anterior fusiform gyrus, and they must rely on other telling aspects of a person (like clothes, jewelry, or distinctive facial features like a mole)- this condition causes the individual possessing it to have a plethora of social difficulties, and for this project I wanted to create an art piece that portrayed the feeling of being surrounded by unknown faces, and having a person one knows through a different feature finally being recognized.

2 Comments

1. Chloe did a phenomenal job on her essay that enlightened me on a topic I had no idea about. Chloe discussed Prosopagnosia which is also known as facial agnosia or facial blindness. Prosopagnosia can happen either through a traumatic brain injury, damage through a stroke, genetic mutation that prevents full development or through a neurodegenerative disease. A lot of the population that is diagnosed with prosopagnosia has usually had it developed during the infantile period of child growth. It also unfortunately a hereditary disease. There is still not enough information on what genes could possibly cause this disease. As I continued reading Prosopagnosia’s are affected in different ways. Some have a difficult time recognizing objects that are familiar to them. Some lack location awareness, scene recognition and cognitive map formation. However, developmental prosopagnosia were similar to the first symptoms I mentioned and less like the second set of symptoms. There are other prosopagnosia’s that suffer from facial recognition, object recognition, which can be known as rapid visual discrimination. There is also a difference in those who have inherited prosopagnosia from a young age, and those who develop it later in life from certain circumstances. There is still a lot of research that needs to be done in order to further the studies of prosopagnosia and perhaps how to stop it from happening or cure it. According to the Chloe’s paper, not a lot of research goes into figuring where in the brain specifically that prosopagnosia attacks. When someone is tested, there is not as much research done into after a person maybe diagnosed. I have learned a lot about Prosopagnosia after reading this paper. Chloe you did a great job!

Jovonna McCormick

Comments are closed.