These are the stages of Mitosis starting with interphase, prophase, late prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase, and cytokinesis. I thought it would be fun to make pancakes (my favorite) to display the cell division that happens in our bodies, creating two identical daughter cells in the end. This process of replacing worn out, lost, or damaged cells is essential to helping the body grow.

3 Comments

1. The pictures didn’t load correctly so in order to follow the stages of mitosis 1-7 read further…

Bottom column: the beginning (interphase) is at the bottom right hand corner, prophase is the bottom left hand corner

Middle column: late prophase is in the far right hand corner, to the left of that is metaphase, to the left of that is anaphase, to the left of that is telophase

Top column: This one is cytokinesis

Jordan Fairchild
  2. Hi Jordan! I have to say this project looks very yummy and I am impressed they lasted long enough to get pictures of them. This is a very creative and engaging approach to showing the process of mitosis and I bet this would be a fun way to teach young students how our body creates new cells. It took me a second to re order the pictures since they did not upload in the right order, but it looks like you accurately depicted each phase. The use of blue sprinkles depicts the nuclear envelope that is visible in the interphase, prophase, and citokinesis while multicolored sprinkles depict the chromosomes throughout the process of mitosis. I especially like how you used white frosting to represent the mitotic spindles attaching and pulling the chromosomes to opposite ends of the cell during the metaphase, anaphase, and telophase. I love how you included a transition picture of a deformed pancake to represent the cell pulling itself into 2 daughter cells. Honestly it looks like how most of my pancakes turn out. All in all it reinforces the concept of Mitosis in a very creative way and I love how it turned out. I only wish I could have had some…

Shayla Sackinger

Comments are closed.