For my project I drew a bone that has been fractured.  I added labels to show where the tissue was damaged as well as how it started healing with the acute inflammation and the the beginning of the calcified tissue formations. This is an example of a transverse fracture in a long bone. I decided to just draw one type of fracture healing rather than all of the ones I talked about in my paper because the healing process would look the same on all of them.

One Comment

1. This project focuses on different bone fractures and the time it takes to heal these types of injuries. Bone fractures and breaks vary in severity so classifications are required to differentiate between break types. The types of breaks are nondisplaced, displaced, complete break, incomplete break, open, and closed break. There are also specific identifications for breaks such as greenstick, transverse, spiral, oblique, comminuted, and segmental fractures. Immediately after a break, the tissue surrounding the injury inflames to begin the healing process and this initial inflammation around the injury is a hematoma. In the later stages of healing, the bone is able to grow a cartilage matrix that allows new bone tissue to develop. If the initial inflammation is left uncontrolled, it can lead to tissue damage. The most common tissue damaged is soft tissue along with other tissues such as organs, nerve cells, skin, blood vessels, muscles, ligaments, and tendons can be damaged as well. Soft tissue is the easiest to damage because it can occur at any severity and most types of fractures injure the surrounding tissue. If left untreated, these types of injuries are prone to infections so it is important to get medical assistance immediately. With medical assistance, the injury is placed in a cast or stint for around three months and the injured area does not move during this time. This leads to the degradation of the muscles and surrounding tissue as they are not being used constantly.

Ashley Paulus

Comments are closed.