I did my project on how vitamin D affects bone health. Without vitamin D, calcium cannot be absorbed. This causes osteoclasts to break down bone to release calcium into the bloodstream so the body can continue to function, which causes osteoporosis. I used clay to sculpt a healthy-looking bone compared to an osteoporotic bone.

One Comment

1. Brianna Waller wrote a very informative research paper about Vitamin D’s effects on bone health. The paper shows the contributing factors for how someone becomes Vitamin D deficient and reviles those who would be at the highest risk. Some of those factors include age, race, lifestyle, and location. It provides information on how the human body obtains Vitamin D through the UVB rays and how the body is able to transform it into an active form of vitamin D. The paper then mentions that Vitamin D has many functions throughout the body, one of those being working with the body in promoting healthy bones. Being deficient in Vitamin D can put a person at a higher risk for osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a serious condition in which the bone structure weakens. She then shows how someone without a sufficient amount of vitamin D cannot absorb an adequate amount of calcium, which then leads to the activation of osteoclasts. As osteoclast starts breaking down bone, the likely hood for fractures increase. Because there are little to no symptoms, many people go without knowing they actually have osteoporosis until a fracture occurs. Luckily there are a number of ways in which a person can prevent Vitamin D deficiency and promote bone health, such as a change in diet and lifestyle changes. I enjoyed reading Brianna Waller’s research paper. I would definitely recommend this paper for others to read, especially if they want an easy-to-understand explanation of why Vitamin D is essential in promoting bone health.

Vanessa Ledford

Comments are closed.