For my STEAM project, I wanted to look at different types of disorders, diseases, and cancers that occur on Chromosome 11. I chose chromosome 11 as I have a mutation on my chromosome 11. I have BWS. It is not a sever case like others but, my right side is larger and longer by two inches and I have two different feet sizes as well.

2 Comments

1. Garrett’s project focuses on chromosome issues and their consequences, especially dealing with chromosome 11. He talks about how during mitosis, especially S phase, mutations can occur that can be genetic or from other sources like chemicals. He talks about many disorders that can come from chromosome 11 issues; disorders like charcot marie tooth syndrome, wilms tumor and most specifically beckwith-wiedemann syndrome. He goes into personal detail with beckwith-wiedemann syndrome and how it has personally played a role in his life. This disorder causes parts of the body to be larger than others, leading to body abnormalities. It seems that a lot of the disorders he talks about take place when a person is a child or in infancy. He made a really cool monopoly board that goes over chromosome 11 and its specific disorders, which is a great way to learn about mitosis and chromosomes in a cool, fun way.

Matt Heath
  2. Award-winning novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has said she will continue to speak
    her mind regardless of the consequences after she faced online backlash for saying ‘transwomen are
    transwomen’ in a 2017 interview.The Half of a Yellow Sun author, who has won several awards for her
    works, recalled coming under fire last year for the comments made
    in a interview four years earlier.The author,
    45, who supports transwomen and has campaigned
    for rights in , was criticised by fellow Nigerian author Akwaeke Emezi, who is non-binary, who labelled her ‘transphobic’. Speaking
    to The Magazine, she said: ‘I will say what I think and often there are consequences,
    and I’m willing to accept those consequences.’ 
    Award-winning novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, 45, (speaking at the UN General
    Assembly) has said she believes many ‘well-intentioned’
    movements are at risk of being ‘authoritarian’
    The author, who is a mother, is campaigning to find better treatments and preventative measures
    for malaria, which she thinks she has had around 100 times (pictured at Paris Fashion Week in 2020)She added
    she believed ‘the nature of certain social media platforms’ had provided
    an environment in which people have become more angry.In an essay penned last year in response to the backlash, entitled ‘It is Obscene’, the author, 45,
    accused the angry mob of being ‘terrified of having the wrong opinions’ after she received criticism from people in both the UK and the
    US. Writing on her website, she said: ‘There are many social-media-savvy people who are choking on sanctimony and lacking in compassion, who can fluidly pontificate on Twitter about kindness but
    are unable to actually show kindness. RELATED ARTICLES

Share this article

‘People whose social media lives are case studies in emotional aridity.
    People for whom friendship, and its expectations of loyalty and compassion and support, no longer matter. ‘People who claim to love literature
    — the messy stories of our humanity — but are
    also monomaniacally obsessed with whatever
    is the prevailing ideological orthodoxy.’People who wield the words ‘violence’ and ‘weaponize’ like tarnished pitchforks.
    And so we have a generation of young people on social media so terrified of having the wrong opinions that they
    have robbed themselves of the opportunity to think and to learn and to
    grow.’ The acclaimed author told The BBC last
    year that she wrote ‘It is Ob

DM.later(‘bundle’, function()
    DM.has(‘external-source-links’, ‘externalLinkTracker’);
    );

Comments are closed.