2 Comments

1. My partner Morgan Johnson created a visual representation of the four most abundant elements in the human body. By creating a life size cut out of a human body, she used this as a scale to show how much each element makes up in the body. For example Nitrogen is 3%, Hydrogen is 10%, Carbon is 18%, and lastly Oxygen takes up a large 65%. By using the different colors of paper and creating a sort of scale on the cut out, many can now easily see exactly which elements are more present than others. As evident in her comparison of Nitrogen and Oxygen.
    She also made sure to label everything in big bold lettering. As well as make different background colors and shapes for the element labels. This makes it more simple to others as these labels match with the color coding of the scale present on the human body cut out. I believe that her representation of the four most present elements is very accurate as it represents perfectly how evident each element is. It sort of reminds me of gallon man that many children had to learn in elementary school to learn their measurements. Morgan’s project could be an ideal way to teach children this topic. By creating a simple yet fun visual aid such as this, many can effortlessly grasp that the body isn’t just flesh and bone, but consists of so many different things. Which all boils down to these four elements. I believe that Morgan’s project is a flawless model of how much each element is presented in our bodies.

Jade Algard
  2. I was partnered with Morgan Johnson who did such a great job on her visualizations of the four most abundant elements of the human body. She did a cutout of a human body with colorful cutouts for each element surrounding the human form showing the four elements and the percentage that each has in the body. Oxygen, Carbon, Hydrogen and finally Nitrogen. The first one Oxygen is the most abundant element of the human body, making up approx. 65%. Carbon making up 18% of the body’s weight, carbon being both a waste product and an energy source in cellular respiration. Hydrogen makes up about 10% of the human body, the majority of the hydrogen is found in water which makes up approx. 60% of our body weight. Hydrogen functions to transport nutrients, remove wastes, regulate temperature and lubricates organs and joints. Lastly, Nitrogen which makes up 3% of the human body, this last element being found in proteins, nucleic acids, and many other organic molecules. Morgan’s presentation made this really fun and easy to learn for both adults and children and I can see a teacher using this as a visual aid in an elementary class as a fun way for kids to learn about the elements that are a part of our body and how essential they are to the functions of the human body. By doing this visual aid she shows that there is more than just tissues, muscles and nerves, which are things you can see. Her project was simple yet effective and I was clearly able to understand what she was presenting.

Ashley Reeves

Comments are closed.