For my STEAM Project, I chose to illustrate bone density in an active and inactive elderly women. I illustrated this using moose bones and clay. My goal was to relate this back to bone development and repair. Attached you will see the difference in an active and inactive elderly women. The active women shows good bone health, whereas the inactive women is already suffering from osteoporosis.

Wohlers STEAM 2020

One Comment

1. Tiffiny Wohlers STEAM project and objective was to compare and contrast the bone density in an active and inactive elderly women. Based on her research, Tiffiny found that inactive elderly women have less bone density than active elderly women. This is found to be due to osteoporosis. In her essay and in her project she describes and shows what osteoporosis is and what it does to bone. Tiffiny tells us in her essay that osteoporosis can occur in anyone at anytime and is a bone disease that develops when bone mineral density and bone mass decrease. As part of her research, Tiffiny explains what everyone can do to prevent osteoporosis from occurring in our own bones which are daily exercise and taking the proper vitamins into our diet. Exercise is important to preventing osteoporosis because when we exercise we are creating thicker bones that are less prone to injury. Tiffiny explains that another way to prevent osteoporosis along with other bone diseases is to intake a lot of calcium and vitamin D into our diets because these two vitamins are vital to maintaining healthy bone density.

Overall, Tiffiny’s project and essay are very well thought out and presented. Her project shows detail and clearly shows the difference of bone structure in an active and in an inactive elderly woman. The essay is well written and has good flow to it. Everything is well described and points are clearly stated. I do believe that putting specific evidence and numbers from scientific research would have supported this topic even more and make it even more persuasive.

Ali May

Comments are closed.