-Fibrosis is the scarring of the liver
-It occurs after a person experiences injury or inflammation in the liver
-Once injury occurs, our wound healing cells, collagen and glycoprotein, build up in the liver and continues the building process with every injury, which causes scarring tissue.
-Eventually, after many repairs our liver cells no longer repair themselves.
-Normal liver (Stage 0): No scarring, our livers main job is to filter the blood that comes from the digestive tract before passing it to the rest of the body. It detoxifies chemicals and metabolizes drugs.
-Stage 1: The liver is starting to show mild scarring
-Stage 2: The liver has moderate scarring that is beginning to branch out.
-Stage 3: The liver scarring has become more severe, scarred areas are spreading and connecting.
-Stage 4: This stage is when it is cirrhosis of the liver, meaning the liver has extensive scarring and this occurs after many years of mistreating the liver.
-Final Stage Liver Cancer: There are often no symptoms and when there is symptoms your already at stage four liver cancer. Some risk factors for liver cancer are Hep B, Hep C, Obesity, Alcohol and cirrhosis.

One Comment

1. I enjoyed the video that Natasha provided for her project. I especially liked the large drawn liver, that is split into all the different stages. This makes it easy to actually see the differences of the stages leading to cancer. The statistic that Natasha provided in her essay is extremely haunting. She stated that 1.8 million people will be diagnosed with cancer and 606,520 people will die of cancer. This statistic is the United States alone! Another frightening thing that Natasha said (in her video) that liver cancer usually does not present with symptoms, and once it does, it is too late. I liked her presentation of how the progression of the scarring of the liver, going from stage 0 to actually being liver cancer. The stages are stages of fibrosis, which is scarring and damage to the tissue. Stage 0 is a healthy liver, where we all hope to be and remain. Once at stage 4 the liver presents with cirrhosis, which is severe scarring. This ultimately leads to liver cancer. It is extraordinarily heart touching that you did this project because of your mother. I am deeply sorry for your loss, and you and your family are in my thoughts.

Caleb Jacobsen

Comments are closed.