This project is talking about the stages that the body takes when we have an allergic reaction specifically from type 1 Hypersensitivity. Type 1 is the most common allergic reaction that people suffer from everyday. It also will cover the solutions of what we can do when these reactions happen.

Here is the Hypersensitive Type 1 Comic

One Comment

1. My partner William Chafin decided to do their project on type 1 Hypersensitivity. Hypersensitivity is increased reactivity or increased sensitivity by the animal body to an antigen to which it has been previously exposed. Type I hypersensitivity reactions are usually rapid and occur within just a few minutes, because of this they are often referred to as immediate hypersensitivity. In Chafin’s comic he describes what is happening to the immune system when exposed to the specific type 1 allergen, pollen. Immediate hypersensitivity reactions are a consequence of the predominant synthesis of specific IgE antibodies by the allergic individual; these IgE antibodies bind with high affinity to the membranes of basophils and mast cells. When exposed to the sensitizing antigen, the reaction with cell-bound IgE triggers the release of histamine through degranulation (a cell loses or releases granules of a substance, typically as part of an immune reaction) and the synthesis of leukotrienes C4, D4, and E4. These substances are potent constrictors of smooth muscle and vasodilators (something that promotes the dilation of blood vessels) and are responsible for the clinical symptoms associated with immediate hypersensitivity. These symptoms include nasal congestion, stridor, cough, bronchospasm, wheezing, and decreased air movement. In recent years, it has been shown, mainly through animal studies, that IL-13, released by T-helper cells, can induce clinical manifestations of asthma, independently of IgE and eosinophils. This means that cell-mediated, IgE-independent mechanisms may also play a pathogenic role in type I hypersensitivity reactions. Chafin’s project encompasses these objectives: “Describe the various WBC and their function”; “Compare and contrast the innate and adaptive immune response”,and “Interpret the response of WBC counts disease.”

eparades

Comments are closed.