Pulmonary Edema: Lung Model Images

Pulmonary Edema: Lung Model Video

This STEAM project is intended to represent pulmonary edema, which is a medical condition where fluid fills the lungs, usually due to a heart-related condition that affects pulmonary blood vessels, or a variety of non-heart related causes such as high altitudes, viral infections and drowning. Specifically, the pulmonary capillaries that perform gas exchange with the alveoli are weakened and become more permeable, which allows fluid from the capillaries to enter the lungs. This fills the alveoli, and eventually floods the rest of the lung space as well, and can lead to symptoms such as respiratory distress, cyanosis, fatigue, etc. One lung in this demonstration is healthy and lacks fluid buildup, whereas the other is partially filled with fluid and its ability to draw in air is hampered. The blue and red wires are intended to represent veins and arteries, whereas the green-colored tube is intended to represent the bronchi. The objective of this project is analyze the effects of disease on structure and function of the respiratory system.

One Comment

1. What a cool project! It is evident here that the fluid buildup is present in the left lung, where it is hampered by the tape. It really demonstrates how pulmonary edema (and any disease that impacts the lungs elasticity and ability for gas exchange) would impact a human. Your project was creative, and works (which is awesome), plus it’s a great visual. Your objective on analyzing structure and function is clearly demonstrated – I know for sure I never want to feel what that poor left lung is feeling!

So the problem here is that the capillaries are allowing an excess of fluid to fill alveoli (and eventually the lung space). This suggests that the individual is probably feeling a “drowning” sensation. I’m curious as to how this is treated, is the fluid drained? What is a long-term solution? If fluid is filling the lung space, how is someone treated in a critical care setting? So many questions!

Hailey Baker

Comments are closed.