My STEAM project is about juvenile polyps. I made a short video explaining how juvenile polyps disrupt our digestive system, a unit we most recently went over. I also share how polyps develop under an unfortunate mutation in the immune system. The immune system is a unit we went over towards the beginning of the semester.

One Comment

1. This piece represents Juvenile Polyps. The video goes on to show that juvenile polyps can actually appear anywhere within the digestive tract, however the most common place for them to appear is within the large intestine. There are three main common polyps that can grow within the large intestine and they are as follows: flat, pedunculated and sessile. The flat polyps grow within the mucosa and not within the lumen. Pedunculated polyps are attached to a wallop the large intestine by stalk and does grow in the lumen. Sessile polyps grows into the lumen but the base is connected to the wall. Polyps grow within our bodies by B and T cells roaming around looking for antigens that match their receptors. The B and T cells are roaming around “asking” other cells for their ID (antigens). If there is an antigen that matches enzymes will then be released and the mutated cell will then undergo apoptosis. However, if mutated cells go unnoticed, then they are free to turn into polyps. Those undetected polyps then begin to grow anywhere within the digestive system. Polyps can cause damage to the digestive system. As shown in the video, an example would be feces trying to pass through the large intestine but a polyp is blocking the path. As the feces forces its way through, it then causes the polyp to bleed, and not all feces will be able to pass through at one time due to the blockage. This can cause abdominal pain, constipation, weight loss, lack of appetite and changes in bowel movements.

Rebekah B

Comments are closed.